- Ed Review
- Think Tank Reviews
The National Education Policy Center (NEPC) website contains hundreds of publications on important education policy and practice topics. In our publications we present high quality research and analysis in language accessible to experts and non-experts alike. NEPC publications are timely as well as insightful. We invite you to sign up for our publication alerts so that you will be among the first to know when NEPC releases a new publication.
NEPC publishes a number of different types of documents:
- Policy Briefs: Policy Briefs synthesize existing research knowledge on a policy or practice issue of importance. Written in language an interested non-expert would find accessible, policy briefs answer the questions: “What is the research evidence related to a given policy or practice option – and what policy recommendations follow from that evidence?” Policy Briefs are blind peer reviewed. (Lista de documentos disponibles en español: click aquí)
- Legislative Policy Briefs: Legislative Policy Briefs combine the research syntheses and policy recommendations found in Policy Briefs with a section drafted by an attorney containing model statutory language. The model statutory language details how legislative bodies can act on the policy recommendations. Legislative Policy Briefs are blind peer reviewed. (Lista de documentos disponibles en español: click aquí)
- Research Briefs: Research Briefs present original research on significant policy questions. NEPC has, for example, published path-breaking work on high stakes testing and charter school finance. Research Briefs are blind peer reviewed.
- Policy Memos: Policy Memos are briefer and less formal than other NEPC publications. They may, for example, provide information such as a list of education experts, or offer a quick assessment of the merits of a particular policy proposal in the news, or provide a commentary on a topical subject.
- NEPC Think Tank Reviews: Think Tank Reviews are academically rigorous reviews of selected think tank publications. These expert assessments of the strengths and weaknesses of selected think tank reports provide the public, policy makers, and the press with the information needed to make informed judgments about the value of the conclusions drawn and recommendations made in the reviewed reports.
Non-NEPC Reviews and Commentaries: NEPC occasionally publishes think tank reviews and substantive commentaries it has not commissioned when those reviews or commentaries are judged by NEPC editors to be both timely and academically sound. These reviews and commentaries, however, have not gone through NEPC’s editorial process. The conclusions offered are those of the authors and not necessarily those of NEPC.
Stand-alone Press Releases: From time to time, NEPC releases a stand-alone press release. Stand-alone press releases address reports and other documents on topics about which NEPC has previously published reports or reviews.
Best of the Ed Blogs: Best of the Ed Blogs features a frequently updated selection of interesting and insightful blog posts on education policy. The views expressed by the bloggers on our blog roll are thoughtful, original, and entirely their own. We hope you make Best of the Ed Blogs your first stop for concise takes on today's most important education topics.
CERU: The Commercialism in Education Research Unit publishes an annual report on schoolhouse commercialism, an annual report on the EMO/CMO industry, and a variety of other documents related to school commercialism and privatization.
IDEAL: The publications of the Initiative on Diversity, Equity, and Learning (IDEAL) provide policy makers, educators, the media, and the public with research and analysis related to equity and racial diversity with the goal of advancing opportunities and school success for all students.
Non-NEPC Publications by Fellows: NEPC fellows are acknowledged experts in their academic disciplines. NEPC posts on its website under the category ”Non-NEPC Publications by Fellows” a selection of the work of NEPC fellows that has been published elsewhere.
NEPC Legacy Publications: Legacy Publications are publications originally published by NEPC predecessor centers [the Education and Public Interest Center (EPIC) at the University of Colorado at Boulder or the Education Policy Research Unit (EPRU) at Arizona State University].
NEPC Legacy Resource Documents: Legacy Resource Documents are documents published elsewhere but posted as resource material by NEPC predecessor centers [the Education and Public Interest Center (EPIC) at the University of Colorado at Boulder or the Education Policy Research Unit (EPRU) at Arizona State University].
All NEPC publications are provided free of cost to NEPC's readers, who may make non-commercial use of the material as long as NEPC and its author(s) are credited as the source. For inquiries about commercial use, please contact NEPC at email@example.com.